Friday, March 14, 2014

Profiling a Blog: Diary of a Muzungu

 I haven’t found many bloggers who dedicate entire blogs to Uganda. I usually see Uganda lost among the shuffle of travel blogs as one of many visited countries. However, in the midst of my delirium, I stumbled upon an amazing travel blog! Although other countries are discussed, the main focus is Uganda.

The blog is called “Diary of a Muzungu”, and a British woman named Charlotte authors it. Charlotte started this blog five years ago as a way to document her journey and volunteer initiatives in Uganda. She joined an international development charity called VSO (Voluntary Services Overseas), which strives to find a long-term solution to global poverty. The four main focuses of VSO are health, participation and governance, secure livelihoods, and education. This development is a holistic approach to global issues through fusing human rights and health together. These emphases are the same focuses of public health, as public health analyzes health determinants in a holistic way. Because I strive to join the public health field, “Diary of a Muzungu” is incredibly useful to me.

Not only does this blog parallel with my area of study, but it also matches my passion for serving others and bettering the global community. This blog holds a mirror in front of my face, as I started my blog with the same intentions. I want to understand Uganda and what contributes to the overall well being of Ugandans before I begin global health volunteering in May. My blog has a very short-term goal of detailing my learning and experiences in Uganda. However, Charlotte’s blog showed me the enormous capabilities of my own blog. The blog may start out as a small-scaled means of Ugandan research and volunteer initiatives (just like hers), and then expand into a massive outlet to build future learning off of. Thus, I am interested in Charlotte’s work and any insight she has to offer about her volunteer journey.

Ultimately, VSO partnered Charlotte with the Uganda Conservation Foundation in 2009. She spent the next 5 years at Uganda Conservation Foundation with the goal of “achieving the balance between human development and wildlife and habitat conservation”.

Since then, she has dramatically expanded her blog and provided organized sections called “Adventure”, “Conservation”, “Diary”, “Society & Culture”, “Travel Tips”, “Travel”, and “Volunteering”. Because she posted monthly (or at least once every few months) for five years, this organization is important. No one wants to read through 5 years of posts without a sense of the changing topics between each post. Her organization addresses this by filtering the posts by topic. This way, readers can choose a topic and read through posts that are specific to their interests. The functional nature of her blog might be one reason why her blog is popular. More than half of her page viewers spend 2.5+ hours reading her blog. The average viewer looks at her blog 3 times a day, depicting how her interesting posts draw people back to her site.

Charlotte’s strong voice is another reason her blog caught my attention. Her words captivated me and sparked my interest in both the work she was doing and in who she actually is. I see a kind, humorous soul in this blog, and I want to know more! I never really thought about the importance of voice until starting my own blog and discussing voice in class. However, I’ve realized how finding your voice is tremendously important. The voice behind the words is the inspiration that charges the words with purpose.

Charlotte’s blog is very encouraging to me because I can see how greatly she has grown over the past few years. She started her blog with a shy, noob-like tone saying “I’m just learning the ropes here with blogging but thought you might be interested in hearing about my journey ‘pre-departure’.” Her only tag was “Uganda” and she had no links to support the networking aspect of her posts. This is exactly what my noob blog looks like, as I am still finding my voice and figuring out how to contribute to the social network with my ideas.

However, today I see a strong, humorous voice that appeals to both common readers and academic scholars/ professionals. Charlotte appeals to professional audiences because she supports her ideas with facts. Her posts depict quality content because her volunteer experiences are portrayed through the lens of research and understanding. In fact, her blog is cited as a main source for a Wikipedia page on Muzungus. On the other hand, the way she delivers this content and the insertion of her personality makes her blog attractive to the common reader. Thus, all readers can enjoy “Diary of a Muzungu”.

Examples of some of her interesting posts are:

This post appeals to the common reader part of me who just wants to know what to look forward to when I go to Uganda. Maybe I will love these things too!

This post appeals to the scholar part of me because it details the history of the Ndere Cultural Centre and the Uganda Development Theatre Association. They topics are: dance, development, the impact of colonialism on traditional culture, and the conflicts of homosexuality and born-again Christians.I am interested in how these topics affect the health of the community.

I aspire to model "Diary of a Muzungu" for my own blog writing, as Charlotte portrays a wonderful integration of her voice and personality with the details of her work and experiences. She went from being the shy blogger with 1 tag to a smooth, humorous blogger who invites you in by saying “I am the Captain for your tour of the Pearl of Africa”.

Now her posts are filled with tags like this:




       In addition, all of her posts are packed with links! She links to pictures, other websites supporting her ideas, site-seeing websites, and other blog posts. If she mentions a topic that she covered more extensively in another post, she links the reader to that post. All of her links are integrated into her sentences. Consequently, her links are not a long daunting list at the end of her post, but a very fluid integration of links within sentences. I want to master this as well (this will also add to the credibility of my posts).

      All of her tagging and linking shows that she is very detailed in her posts. Although she only posts monthly, she packs each post with links and accounts of numerous experiences. This means her posts are action packed with information!


 I want to use “Diary of a Muzungu” as a model for my own blog, having the ability to both educate and entertain a wide range of audiences. My hope is that in a few months I will be as eloquent and colorful as Charlotte in portraying my experiences and my voice within my experiences. I am hoping to surpass my noob status! 

Our blogs will differ in that I am not going to Uganda for animal conservation efforts. Instead, I will be working with people and focusing on the issues of HIV, maternal mortality, malaria, agriculture, etc. I will also only be in Uganda for 3 weeks vs. Charlotte's 5 years, and I am not going to the other African countries she has been to. However, only time will tell what my future holds. It is possible that my blog, like Charlotte’s, will evolve into a broader, more comprehensive outlet for my future travels and volunteer efforts!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, it's Paige :) Nice post. Your intro is a bit long (~4ish paragraphs) so I wasn't quite sure where you were going at first, but once you got past the assignment bit you really hit your stride when you started the actual profiling. I think it's really neat how you found someone with interests so similar to yours, and I also like how you differentiate between your two blogs in your last couple of paragraphs. This ensures that your blog is unique. Calling the other blogger by her first name, Charlotte, is a nice touch. It lends an air of familiarity to your voice. It makes readers feel as if you're talking to them about an old friend rather than writing out a class assignment. Calling her by her last name instead would sound too formal, a mistake which I made with my own post. Anyway. I can tell you're falling more in love with your topic (as denoted by several exclamation points). I hope you choose to continue with your blog like you say after the spring semester ends.

    ReplyDelete